Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Scrap a Sketch #SASMC - April 2017

Spring is finally here!! I may have jinxed it when I typed this entry up last week, it's snowing here this morning and yesterday was t-shirt weather. None the less, it's getting close and I can't wait.

For the second month of #SASMC I've asked my mom, an avid scrapbooker, to be the contributor this month. She's made a beautiful spring inspired 12x12 layout. Before I share the sketch and her layout I thought I'd share a little about her.


"I was quite honored to be asked by my daughter to be her Guest Designer this month and come up with a layout to create a sketch from. I am passionate about crafting but I am not a blogger nor a promoter of what I do creatively; I just do it because I love it! 
A grandmother aka Nee Nee to 7 sweet grandchildren; most of whom I get to see regularly. I feel very grateful that in this transient world I have these little munchkins in my life, not to mention the multiple photo opportunities they provide. 
I have a long love affair with crafting starting many moons ago when my Mom introduced me to scissors, paper, glue, needles and thread. Back in 2004, I was introduced to card making and scrapbooking by both my daughters, Erin and Meagan. Since then my stash has grown (unlike other paper crafters - hehe!) as has my album collection. My husband is fully supportive of my passion; he says "for the hours I spend paper crafting, my supplies work out to be free." He's the kind of guy I want around! 
In spite of a demanding career, I managed to make time to play with my paper friends as my eldest grandson says. Now that I am mostly retired, I have a bit more time to spend in my happy place. During the past few years, I have dabbled in art journals, mini albums, and documenting everyday. It seems thought I come back to creating 12x12 layouts. I am a huge fan of anything mixed media and use my art journal mostly to play around with paints, gels, gesso, crayons and so on". 

You can find my mom on instagram as @shannongyates58  where you'll see lots of scrapbooking, gardening, mountain and grandkid photos. 

Below is the layout my mom came up with for our April sketch. It's just gorgeous!!! It incorporates fussy cutting and a floral cutfile that she's used from PaperIssues. I just love what she's come up with! (Try to use your imagination to see the butterflies and flowers where they would be on the sketch. I have some more learning when it comes to adding complex shapes to a sketch!) 


Fussy cut flowers are a favourite technique of mine and one anyone can do with just a patterned paper of choice or a stamp set and sharp scissors. My favourite scissors are Cutter Bee. I love the effect of white floral cut files with the cut out patterned paper flowers.




I love all the pretty florals intermingled with the patterned paper. SO pretty! 
Some of the supplies used on her layout are as listed: 
Patterned Paper, Poppies - Jen Hadfield, Pebbles Simple Life

Here is the sketch! Excuse the cursor points around the sketch, I couldn't get Word to cooperate with me with this sketch for some reason so I had to screen print it to make it into a JPEG. My creative brain isn't the best with technology! I say good enough :) 


I hope you find some inspiration in this months sketch and to add to it I've come up with a challenge as well. Look through your junk drawer (if you are like me and have everything in there) or grab some paint sample cards from your local hardware store in colours that inspire you.  Use those to make a layout!


I used some pretty spring pastel paint cards on this layout and found a jade green floral cut in my cutfile drawer that went perfectly with the colors I chose.  The washi tape is the rose gold metallic washi from Maggie Holmes Gather collection - it doesn't show up in its glory in a photo, but in real life its gorgeous! It comes in a set of three - gold, rose gold, and silver.


The cut file is from Studio Calico, Penny Arcade cut file by Kim Stewart, in their digital section. Found here.


I printed a photo on a tag for something different. I don't know if I would recommend it as it made my printer funny for a bit. You could always point a photo and trim it to look like a tag.


My newest product obsession! Shimelle's new wood button brads. 


Post your creations to instagram and tag me as well as tag them with the hashtags #SASMC #SCRAPASKETCHMONTHLYCHALLENGE so we can see what you came up with. I'll choose a few participants layouts to highlight through out the month of April on Instagram and my blog. I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Thanks for having a look and Happy Scrappin! 


No comments:

Post a Comment